What Causes Mold?
What Causes Mold Damage?
While mold damage can happen at any time of the year, certain months and seasons are more likely than others to produce cases of mold growth in Michigan. Mold is hardy and adaptable, but also tends to favor certain key conditions when it grows most profusely. In some states, these conditions exist year-round, and they consequently experience more overall mold damage cases than our local area. In Michigan, however, weather and conditions are highly seasonal, and you may be more likely to develop mold damage in your home in the spring or summer for a few reasons.
Wetness is a key factor in how at-risk an area is for mold damage. In the spring, snowmelt produces a lot of runoff and even some amount of flooding. This tends to get into homes and properties, and moisture in generally dry areas is one of the most important causative factors in mold growth. Also, relative humidity increases once the days grow longer, and the land gets warmer, which can sharply increase the rate at which mold matures and reproduces.
The second key factor in accelerated mold growth is temperature, and in Colorado, warm temperatures suitable for mold growth are a seasonal occurrence. Typically, it is too cold in autumn through mid-spring for mold to grow rapidly, and only the summer months provide warmth desirable for the mold. When combined with the wetness of that period, late spring and early summer end up being the times when we receive the most mold damage calls.
Whether your mold damage has happened in spring, summer, autumn, or winter, SERVPRO of Kalamazoo is a local and accessible restoration and remediation company available 24/7 to help you deal with any mold damage on your property. Call us at (269) 342-2366 for our services or a quote.
Fire Prevention Month
Have you checked your smoke alarm batteries recently
October is Fire Prevention Month, and it is a perfect time to examine emergency preparedness plans for your home and business. The 2016 theme for the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) is "Don't Wait - Check the Date! Replace Smoke Alarms Every 10 Years." According to the NFPA in 2014 fires caused 2,745 deaths, 11,825 injuries and $6.8 billion in property damage. Roughly half of home fire deaths occur in fires reported between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. Smoke alarms save lives! In fact, having a working smoke alarm cuts the chances of dying in a reported fire, in half! When smoke alarms fail to operate, it is usually because batteries are missing, disconnected or dead. Check your smoke alarms today to ensure your safety!
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – (269) 342-2911
Whether your Kalamazoo County home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your Kalamazoo County commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business. Learn more about our commercial services: http://www.SERVPROwestkalamazoo.com/commercial-restoration-cleaning
Carpet cleaning is important to maintaining the overall comfort and monetary value of a property. Any type of flooring is an investment for the property owner. Keeping the investment in the best shape takes a professional, but without proper certification, the consumer cannot be guaranteed of proper education and training on updated techniques used in maintaining the value of the flooring. There are health concerns that can arise from any unsanitary environment, and it can be surprising to learn what survives in and under the flooring. Allergens that are left behind can lead to serious health problems for family members and even household pets. Proper techniques can reduce or eliminate allergens in the environment, improving the health of the occupants. Great strides have been made in technologies used in carpet-care. Today there are only a few basic wet and dry methodologies accepted by the industry leaders. Ensuring consistently high standards means understanding how the certifying body works to guarantee better results at lower costs. Proper maintenance begins with regular vacuuming using a high-powered machine. Over time normal wear and tear leads to a dull, soiled appearance. Proper maintenance by the occupants can help keep the flooring looking good, but there comes a time when a certified technician has to be called to get to the really deep grime a normal household vacuum can miss.
While regular maintenance is beneficial to the healthfulness and attractiveness of a home or office, a certified technician is necessary to take care of the really deep jobs regular vacuuming misses. Consumers often find it difficult to choose a professional company for those important household chores. The benefits of carpet cleaning are numerous, but knowing who can be trusted is not always easy. That's where we come in....Just give us a call @ (269) 342-2911 and we'll help you in any way that we can, whether that be by offering our carpet cleaning services or just answering any questions you may have.
Vandalism Do's and Don’ts!
SERVPRO Professionals are recognized as leaders at helping property owners quickly recover from fire and water damage. They also provide general cleaning and deodorization services for situations resulting from vandalism including graffiti, egg, spoiled foods and human or animal waste.
If you ever encounter an act of vandalism to your home or building, here are some tips on what to do until SERVPRO arrives:
- Hose or wash egg damage from building exterior as soon as possible.
- Blot freshly spilled food from carpets and fabrics with a dampened cloth or sponge (but don’t over wet). Scrape and blot (don’t rub: it may damage fibers).
- Carefully vacuum glass particles from carpets and upholstery Save containers, which reveal the composition of spilled inks, cosmetics and paints.
- Record all damage and photograph when possible.
- Attempt to remove ink, paint or cosmetic stains.
- Operate damaged lamps or appliances.
- Discard wood chips, broken pieces from furniture, porcelain or other art objects.
Not All Smoke Damage Can Be Cleaned With Soap!
When it comes to cleaning smoked-damaged contents after a residential or commercial fire, the variety of contents in a typical job requires restorers to utilize a variety of cleaning methods.
Here is a quick description of each method of content cleaning:
- Dry Cleaning - Removes light to medium nongrease-based soils.
- Wet Cleaning - Removes moderate to heavy residues. The process involves cleaning using water, with or without a cleaning agent.
- Spray and Wipe - Apply a cleaning product using a spray bottle. After spraying, wipe the surface with a clean white towel. This method is effective for materials possibly damaged if saturated with cleaning product.
- Foam Cleaning - Effective for light residues or delicate materials. Clean with the foam of a cleaning agent rather than the liquid
- Abrasive Cleaning - Agitates the surface being cleaned. Apply a cleaning product containing abrasive ingredients
- Immersion Cleaning - Dipping contents items into a bath of cleaning product. This bath is an ultrasonic tank filled with water and cleaning solution. High-frequency sound waves then create high temperatures and microscopic jet streams of fluid to agitate and scrub contents.
SERVPRO recommends that you DO NOT attempt to clean smoke-damaged surfaces or contents yourself, and call the professionals!
Interesting fact about SERVPRO of West Kalamazoo, we can deodorize your home and business of the toxins that come from substances such as cigarette smoke!
Tobacco smoke is composed of numerous types of gasses as well as carcinogens and heavy metals, like arsenic, lead, and cyanide. Sticky, highly toxic particulates, like nicotine, can cling to walls and ceilings. Gases can be absorbed into carpets, draperies, and other upholsteries.
Many times hotels or realtors will call on us to come in and clean rooms that have been inhabited by heavy smokers. Your basic cleaning service is not going to have the expertise to effectively deodorize your home.
Take advantage of SERVPRO’s residential cleaning services to remove unwanted odors (including animal smells such as skunk and wet dog). Call us today 269 342 2366
What is Biohazard Remediation?
Biohazard remediation is not a very common call that we receive and is something that rarely occurs, but if it does occur, it is something that SERVPRO West Kalamazoo can handle. We come in to make sure that the biological matter and dangerous odors are eliminated all together so that those contaminates do not spread. Biohazard damages can include offensive odors, trauma scenes, human decomposition, hoarding removal, and gross/filth removal. None of these are pleasant things that you want in your home. These issues are also something that you should not plan on cleaning up yourself, especially at a time that you are grieving.
SERVPRO of West Kalamazoo is professionally qualified to come in and get rid of the issues that biohazard damage can cause.
Call us @ (269) 342-2911
SERVPRO of West Kalamazoo Certificates
- WRT - Water Damage Restoration Technician
- CCT - Carpet Cleaning Technician
- CMT - Commercial Carpet Maintenance Technician
- RCT - Rug Cleaning Technician
- UFT - Upholstery & Fabric Cleaning Technician
- LCT - Leather Cleaning Technician
- SMT - Stone, Masonry and Ceramic Tile Cleaning Technician
- ASD - Applied Structural Drying Technician
- SRT - Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration Technician
- IICRC Certified Firm
- OCT - Odor Control Technician
- RRT - Carpet Repair & Reinstallation Technician
- FCT - Floor Care (Hard Surfaces) Technician
- AMRT - Applied Microbial Remediation Technician
The technicians at SERVPRO of West Kalamazoo are up to date in all the certificates listed above. We pride ourselves in being the very best at every aspect of our job to make your loss move along as smooth and quick as possible. Our mission is to help you get back to a normal life after disaster strikes. We want to make it look like it never even happened.
Water Damage From Contaminated Water
Sewage back ups can happen to anyone! Here are a few Do's and Don'ts to keep you safe until SERVPRO can get there to assist you with cleanup.
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated from sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
- Spread contaminated water by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas.
- Turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminants.
- Use products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated areas.
Toilets are not the only source of a sewage back up, back ups can also happen in bath tubs and drains in the basement. If you're not sure if it's contaminated water please call SERVPRO to check it out instead of inspecting it yourself. Call today 269 342 2366